Pages

Monday, December 28, 2015

Read. Write. Play.

Before I had a toddler running around my desk, there always seemed to be three things on my daily To-Do List.

  1. Read.
  2. Write.
  3. Play music.
Oh, how I wish I had many hours to do these things again.  I had time for them while in college, but sadly I spent too many hours doing something other than studying.

I finally got my act together in grad school.  I loved reading, research, and writing.  Although, I didn't care for the deadlines too much.  I played guitar an hour or two a day; I had a twelve-string and two six-strings.  I enjoyed Friday and Saturday nights with some extracurricular reading; a good novel seemed better with a cup of tea.

Now with a full-time job, a family - I did mention the toddler, right? - and the necessary tasks that come with it, extended time for those three joys seem gone for good.  Those relaxing days curled up in a comfy chair reading while wrapped in my blanket cocoon are probably nothing but a memory.

I cherish every minute I can flip the pages or strum the strings.  I know there are many successful writers who found time for their craft while wrangling toddlers during diaper changes and bottle feedings.  I hope I am able to do the same.

Now there are three new daily tasks on my Daddy To-Do List.

  1. Read to my son those thick-paged baby books asking which animal lives in the trees or what color is Elmo's fur.
  2. Read my Bible and other books to strengthen me to be the man, husband, and father I need to be.
  3. Play the classics on my guitar for my son:  Old MacDonald, There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and any others that come to mind.


So, listen up you youngsters!  While you're still young and have plenty of free time on your hands, don't waste it on mind-numbing activities.   Grab a book or tune an instrument and let your mind escape this crazy world for a while, because there's a crazier (but more joyful) world coming.