Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Castro, the Pope, and Common Decency

I'm sure many are connected to people on social media who are not their friends.  I know many people on my friends lists & contacts are not my friends.  Many are acquaintances.  Some I've never met.

However, I try to be friendly to all of them.

If I'm aware the brother (or anyone close) of someone on my friends/contacts list dies, I'm going to send my condolences and offer my prayers.  Sadly I don't find out many of such deaths and are unable to express words of comfort.

 Even if the deceased was a criminal - I'm not going to say something like:  "Hey, I'm glad your scumbag brother died.  He did so many bad things.  So many of us are glad he's dead."


Fidel Castro did many bad things for decades.  There's no denying that.  Hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of people fled Cuba while he was dictator.  Many went into the water on homemade rafts and sailed to Florida.  Many Cubans risked their lives to flee from Castro and his cruelty.  Many people died because of his cruelty.

Yet, when Castro died, would it not be fitting to send condolences to his family?  Sure, especially if you're a Head of State or an international figure.

That's what Pope Francis did and some are criticizing the Pope for being civil.

For instance Allan West said:  "But listen to the Pope’s response to Castro’s death, and you’d get the impression we just lost a hero."  

Castro was cruel on his entire nation - especially the Catholics living in Cuba.  The Pope (and the two Popes prior) have tried to heal the wounds cause by Fidel Castro.  They've pleaded and reasoned for him to change.

Pope Francis was instrumental in opening diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Cuba.

No conservatives were upset when Gorbachev and Reagan became friendly and tried to work things out.  No conservatives blamed a dead Reagan for being a commie when Gorby came to Ronnie's funeral!

Yet, Pope Francis reaches out to the surviving brother, offers condolences and prayers for all - especially the people of Cuba.  He didn't call Castro a hero.  He didn't praise Castro for being a nice dictator.

What's wrong with that?   Nothing.  Wouldn't you want the same?

Here is the full text of the telegram from Pope Francis: 
On receiving the sad news of the death of your dear brother, His Excellency Mister Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz, former president of the State Council and of the Government of the Republic of Cuba, I express my sentiments of sorrow to Your Excellency and other family members of the deceased dignitary, as well as to the people of this beloved nation. At the same time, I offer prayers to the Lord for his rest and I entrust the whole Cuban people to the maternal intercession of our Lady of the Charity of El Cobre, patroness of that country.
Francisco, PP