Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2016

LORD, I NEED YOU.... Every. Single. Day.

I taught part-time one semester at Wingate University in Wingate, North Carolina.  The bells in a nearby clock tower would play the old hymn "I Need They Every Hour."  I thought it was fitting since I taught mathematics - a subject most students abhor.

My view was modified a couple weeks into the semester.  I need God every hour too.  It's not just my students.  We all need God to get through the struggles, fight for us through the temptations, and rejoice with us in the joyous times.

The lyrics to this classic hymn are:

  1. I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
    No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
    • Refrain:
      I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
      Every hour I need Thee;
      Oh, bless me now, my Savior,
      I come to Thee.
  2. I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
    Temptations lose their pow’r when Thou art nigh.
  3. I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
    Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.
  4. I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
    And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.
  5. I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
    Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.

Below is a video of Christian recording artist, Matt Maher, singing his song inspired by this hymn (while kneeling) at World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro in 2013 (to the best of my knowledge).