Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Endless Summer ... not quite

Today is the first day of summer.  I used to love summers.  It was a time away from school.  Months of swimming and playing with friends.  Relaxation.

Then one summer I went to United States Marine Corps boot camp at MCRD San Diego.  That put an end to my carefree summers.  I haven 't had a peaceful summer since.  There was one summer when I took several weeks to ride my Harley-Davidson through seventeen states, but other than that my summers have been full of work or going to school, or both.

Today was peaceful for the most part.  I will do some mowing.  I will do some reading and studying.  I probably should do some things around the house.

For those of you still in school and are taking the summers off, enjoy it while you have it.  Soon Adulthood will hit you right between the eyes and his nasty, whiskey drinking sister named Reality will take a piece of your backside.  After that, it's all work and no - well, very little - play.

Even though my summers keep me very busy nowadays, they are filled with fond memories of friends from my childhood and my youth.  I learned to do many things during the summer months:  swim, shoot, sports, and many senseless things that seemed so much fun back then.

So, here's to summer.  Grab you something cool to drink and relax for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments PG-rated and constructive. Internet trolls will be prayed for, but their comments will be deleted.