Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Stones for Today's Workers

I know I am not the only one who complains about those people who want more than their fair share.  They want more than they are willing to work.   They want to live beyond their means.  They scraped their way through college with a 2.0 g.p.a. in a major which has no demand in today's workforce and no application in the real world (or no education at all) and yet they expect to get nearly the same salary and benefits as someone who has earned a 4.0 g.p.a. in tough, rigorous, fields of study that are in high demand.

I have had friends tell me that their companies hate to hire people fresh out of college because those newly released "children" expect so many days off each year (I guess to go party with their friends still in college), expect to go home early many days, and feel that they need to get a raise in pay every four months (as if they've made it through another semester of work).

I have heard people on news shows and in person lament on how it's not fair that they do not have the same pay and benefits as those "rich people in business."  I know it's not a popular view today, but I think someone who was socially promoted through an inadequate, public school system and is working at a convenience store should NOT get the same salary and benefits as the CEO who has earned an MBA and a few other degrees, worked his way up the ladder over the past twenty years, and deals with billions of the company's dollars and thousands of employees' jobs on the line.

I remember a day when companies worked hard to acquire good insurance and retirement plans as an incentive for attracting and retaining the best talent for a position.  Many times the benefits package is what attracted the employee even though the remuneration for the job was less than what the competition was paying.  Sometimes the benefits were a reward for staying with the company and were only available after working several years.

I have had jobs where there was no paid vacation.  You want a day off?  Fine, you don't get paid either.  I once had a job where I did not get a paid day off until after working there a full year.   I hear that new hires now expect paid days off as soon as their hired.

Nowadays, people with no job experience demand the same benefits package as those who faithfully work year after year.  They also want to drive a fancy, new car and live in the nicest dwelling... and let's not forget a sweet vacation three times a year.

There is an old song by the Rolling Stones that needs to have its chorus memorized today by many people (of all ages).

You can't always get what you want 
But if you try sometimes, you just might find
You get what you need 

I believe in hard work.  I believe in studying and constantly learning new things.  I believe in keeping your skills sharp.  I believe that those who learn valuable skills, work hard, are innovative, and stay the course are more likely to be rewarded than those who are not.  And, even if you are not able to get all you want, you are likely to get what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments PG-rated and constructive. Internet trolls will be prayed for, but their comments will be deleted.