Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Prepare in Many Ways

I'm sitting here waiting for a storm to hit.  Last year a similar storm knocked out my electricity for over ten days.  It was quite frustrating.

This time I hope I am more prepared.  I stay tuned to weather forecasts.  I have purchased many canned foods.  I have a camp stove and fuel.  I have plenty of charcoal for my grill.  I have a rechargeable battery pack for small electrical needs.  I have candles.  My wife washed several loads of laundry and baked two loaves of bread yesterday.  This time we do not have a refrigerator stuffed full with perishables.  I have batteries for the flashlights and radio.  I'm good to go.

I pray that there is no damage to our property and that the power stays on this time.

In life we must be prepared for things we do not now see:  insurance, our health, and a good education.

We should purchase many types of insurance (it is affordable, if you spend wisely in other areas) to protect many parts of our lives should an accident happen.  Kudos to the man who prepares for himself and does not just simply hope the government will bail him out of a jam.

Staying healthy is not just a way to have a better life in the here & now, but to also make life less troublesome in the years to come.  So many health problems come our way when we do not maintain a healthy lifestyle.  A healthy lifestyle does far more good than a government healthcare plan.

Continuing a good education is also a way to prepare for life's up & downs.  In a way, it is arrogant to not attempt to get an education.  It is like a person saying, "I already know all there is to know.  Why should I learn more?"  It does not have to be a college education.  So much can be learned at no cost from a public library or the internet.  Nowadays, even internet access is often free at local libraries.

Another way to prepare is to seriously consider whether or not this world is all there is.

Here comes the storm!  I'm signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments PG-rated and constructive. Internet trolls will be prayed for, but their comments will be deleted.