Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day Feelings

Father's Day is a day of mixed emotions throughout the United States.

Pickin' & Grinnin'

I have many fond memories of my father and I hope to make many more great memories.   One memory that came to mind today was the day I received a very unique letter in our mail box.  I was not yet a teenager, but the letter was addressed to me.  I don't recall whether or not it had a return address, but I remember the at the location of the stamp was merely a fake stamp sketched in pen.  The letter told me to go to another place in the house and look for a surprise.  There I found another piece of paper that led me to another place in the house for - you guessed it - another piece of paper.   This went on several more times until I finally came to the closet in my bedroom.  In the closet was a large cardboard box; almost as tall as me.  Inside the box was
a banjo.  The very thing I had asked for for some time.

I recall my dad asking me many times if I really wanted a banjo.  He asked if I would rather first learn to play piano or guitar.  I insisted on wanting to start playing a banjo.  Some time later I received another letter at Christmas revealing that I would soon be taking banjo lessons.  I was so happy that tears flowed from my eyes.  I was only in junior high school, but I remember the joy of learning how to play music from reading music, chords, or by ear.  I learned how to modulate between different keys.  That especially came in handy when playing with people who were using a key different from the one in which I had learned the song.

I'm not much of a banjo player now, but I am so thankful that my father provided the gift of music in my life.  Since then I have learned bits & pieces of playing mandolin, fiddle, and guitar.  I play guitar almost exclusively now.  My guitar helps me express myself whether I'm happy, sad, lonely, confused, angry, or overwhelmed with joy.  One little gift from my father has given me decades of pleasure.  Thanks, Dad.

Sparky Sent Me to Sleep

As a child I remember sitting on the back porch of my grandfather's house late at night listening to Cincinnati Reds games on the radio with my father and his father-in-law.  I especially liked the nights when there was lightening somewhere between the broadcast antenna and that screened-in porch.  I don't think I ever stayed awake long enough to hear an entire game.  The sporadic static from lightening strikes seemed to always lull me to sleep more quickly.

The lights were always out on that porch during a Reds game.  The old radio produced a soft glow.  I do not recall whether it was from tubes glowing out the back of the radio or if it was from the lighted dial on front.  I merely remember the ambiance was perfect for putting this shaggy headed, blonde haired boy asleep after a hard day of playing in my grandparents' yard and eating Grandma's delicious dinners.

My father and his father-in-law were quiet during the game's broadcast.  They talked softly during the commercial breaks and made comments only after exciting plays.  They quietly discussed the players and manager, Sparky Anderson, as if they knew them well.  They bonded without saying many words during those moments.

Tears Over Things Not to Be

Last year I had the pleasure of becoming a son-in-law.  Becoming a husband to a wonderful woman was the greatest moment of my life.  Furthermore, with my wonderful wife came two wonderful people: my mother-in-law and my father-in-law.  I looked forward to spending time with my father-in-law.  I looked forward to spending "guy time" with him, getting advice from him, sharing laughs with him, and enjoying our mutual interests.  I looked forward to sharing moments like my father spent with his father-in-law.

Less than two months after my wedding, my father-in-law went home to his Heavenly reward.  I tried hard to be strong for my wife and give her all the support & comfort she needed.  I tried to shoulder as many burdens as I could to lessen the strains upon my wife and mother-in-law.  At the funeral I broke down in tears.  In the midst of of all the sorrow and pain, I also realized that I would not get any experiences and memories like my father was able to share with his father-in-law.  I would not have any more time to spend with my father-in-law to talk about guns and shoot them, talk about cars and go on trips with him, and learn about the silly things my wife did as a teenager.  I wanted to get to know him more.  I wanted us to have a deep friendship that lasted many years to come.  I wanted to prove to him that I am a worthy son-in-law.

Counting My Blessings

I am thankful for every moment that I can spend with my father.  He has influenced my life in more ways than he realizes.  I hope I can honor him every day of the remainder of my life.  I am thankful for the good memories of my father-in-law, John.  I hope I can honor his memory every day of the remainder of my life by being an honorable and noble husband to the woman whom he gave me his blessing to wed.

Happy Father's Day to all fathers and please remember and honor those fathers who are no longer with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments PG-rated and constructive. Internet trolls will be prayed for, but their comments will be deleted.